Friday, January 14, 2011

Let's Try This Again


Ah ha, yeah. That whole weekly blogging thing kind of fell apart once the holidays and finals at school started up. I put on 11.5 pounds from November to December, due to CRAZY holiday overeating. I mean, truly epic overeating. Thanksgiving and Christmas, my son’s 8th birthday (CAKE. I loathe you), major enabling behavior from my mother (you’re stressed, so I got you red velvet cake. Enjoy!).

As a result, I find myself in the position I had hoped to avoid: beginning a new weight loss program at New Year. Groan. I don’t do New Year’s resolutions. That’s really, to me, always seemed like setting yourself up for failure. But the fact remains, as of January 7, I weighed 188.5 pounds, which is the heaviest I have ever been. Ever; even when I was pregnant I only hit 184. SO. Let’s start this over.

My plan is essentially the same:

* I will cut caloric intake to between 1200 and 1600.
* I’m starting on the Couch to 5K plan everyone seems to be doing this time of year.
* I will endeavor to eat 5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, and to drink 4-6 glasses of water a day.
* I WILL write at least once a week on this blog, even if it’s just to post a progress pic, or to bemoan the dearth of healthy food choices in the campus cafeteria.
* I’m playing with the idea of joining a gym (possibly Curves? I had a very bad experience with Bally’s, so I will definitely not be going that route again).
* Once my financial aid $$$ comes through, I will begin the “Lego Diet”. (Lego Diet is a bit of a misnomer. This is a plan my family came up with to track our dieting/exercise progress over time. Basically, you buy a Lego kit with enough pieces to get you through a significant period of time, a couple of months to a year. Every day that you meet your goal, be it a diet or exercise goal, you put together ONE piece of your kit. It’s a good way to overcome the lack of visible improvement which is often a stumbling block to new health plans, because the Lego kit provides a clear visual independent of your body. I may not be able to see the 5 pounds that came off my ass yet, but I CAN see the tidy little Lego wall I’m building on Jabba’s Lego palace.)

I began my calorie cut on January 7. Since then, I have already lost 3.5 pounds, bringing my current weight down to 185 lbs, which is still horrifying, but at least its progress.

2 comments:

  1. "This is a plan my family came up with..."

    If by, "my family" you mean ME! ;P

    Good on ya, babe. I can bug you every week to blog if you like. I am good at bugging as I'm sure you'll recall from our mutual childhood spent together. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, I am quite clear on your ability to bug. :)

    Let's see how I do on my own for a bit first, and if I fall down on the blog job, you can bug me to your heart's content, yes?

    ReplyDelete