Saturday, July 11, 2009

Emo High School Poetry: The Easy Way!

I couldn't help but notice that a fair few people have posted their angsty High School poetry in their journals. Not being an aspiring poet myself, I decided to go about this whole poetry thing the easy way: with an iTunes meme. Basically, you put your iTunes (or other music player) on shuffle and create a "poem" using only the first lines of the first twenty songs that come up. The first line of the twenty-first song is the title. See how many of the songs you can identify!

Metaphor for a Missing Moment
How dare you say that my behavior's unacceptable,
take this pink ribbon off my eyes.
I been all around the world;
I shouldn't have called so late last night.

Won't you come see about me,
love, love me do.
They took the whole Cherokee nation;
big girl, you are beautiful.

Go ahead as you waste your days with thinking,
the flowers you gave me are rotting.
She's a rebel, she's a saint,
I'd appreciate input.

You chat to me like we connect,
and its love you give.
I was always the crazy one,
once upon a midnight, dearie.

Judging by the look on the organ grinder,
I'm packed and I'm hummin'.
You caught me lingering in another girl's paradise,
if I leave here tomorrow...

Huh. Well, that makes slightly more sense than I'd expected it to... also, some of those stanzas are painfully reminiscent of some of the poetry to be found in my HS's "Literary" magazine, lo these many years ago. I'm fighting the urge to explicate. :)

Seems to me, our imaginary poetess is a budding feminist, dabbling in lesbianism with a chubby girl she calls late at night (another girl's 'paradise'? If this were a romance novel, that would be a euphemism, right there...). Clearly, the chubby girl is the more cerebral of the two, and our poet is getting sick of her girlfriend's neediness, so our poetess cheats, and gets caught. So now, she's leaving. Oh, the angst!!!!!!! (According to Terry Pratchett, an excess of exclamation marks indicates poor mental health. Huh).

No comments:

Post a Comment